Community Links and Partnerships
As part of our drive to become an ‘outward facing’ school, we are actively involved in a number of local initiatives. From choir performances at local care homes and Remembrance Day events to being part of the Denmead Business forum and getting involved in Dementia Friendly action planning, DJS continues to grow and strengthen our links with the Denmead Community.
Now firmly established in the school calendar are:
Denmead Dinosaur Derby
Usually the second Sunday in September. These hugely popular local event is run by Denmead scouts. Since 2017 the school has supported this event with an activity stall run by our school Ambassadors.
Denmead Junior School PTA Christmas Fair
Usually held immediately after school on a Friday night. Open to everyone in the community to spread Christmas cheer and to raise money for the school.
The Pantaloons Outdoor Theatre Performance at Denmead Junior School
Held on Midsummer’s night and open to everyone in the community, bring a picnic, chairs and rugs and settle in for excellent theatrical entertainment. Children are free. This event was introduced by the school to celebrate its Ofsted inspection and its ‘Good’ grading in 2016. So far we have enjoyed Chaucer’s tales, Midsummer’s Night Dream, The Importance of being Earnest and Sense and Sensibility. Find out more about the fabulous company via their Pantaloons website
Denmead Schools (Infant and Junior) PTA Summer Fair
Usually held one Saturday afternoon in late June/early July. Open to everyone in the community to enjoy an afternoon of children friendly activities, (bouncy castles, slides, go carts, horse and cart rides), stalls to buy gifts, and plenty of food and drink. This is the school's big fundraising activity of the year.
A fantastic event launched last year here at DJS, local residents were invited to decorate their bikes and mobility scooters and come and ride around the school and on our new running path. More details from: Event Organiser website
Other links both local and further afield include:
- Partnership work with Denmead Infant School
- The Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) – The School Partnership Programme
- EEF – Achievement for All Programme
- The Art of Brilliance – DJS’s bid to be ‘a Brilliantly Happy School’
- Solent Teaching Alliance - our local Teaching School
- University of Winchester – student teachers
- University of Chichester – student teachers
- University of Portsmouth – action research into Growth Mindsets
- University of Winchester – QMLSL (Quality Mark of Leadership – training for Senior Leaders; facilitated by DJS’s Head Teacher)
- The Cowplain Cluster of local schools
- Denmead Business Forum member
- All Saints Church in Denmead
Schools Partnership Programme 2018-2020
Together we are taking part in a nationwide research trial of over 500 schools funded through the EEF (Education Endowment Foundation) to see if a partnership based approach to school improvement , organised through the Schools Partnership Programme, builds the capacity and capability across schools for self-sustaining school improvement.
For further information please follow the link
We have joined forces with the following local schools to form a partnership:
- Padnell Junior School
- Purbrook Park Junior School
- Clanfield Junior School
- St Albans Primary
- Denmead Junior School
This partnership was formed in March 2018 and over the course of the next two years schools will:
- review in depth an area of each other’s school and practice (twice);
- undertake bespoke training, following each review (delivered by the ‘Improvement Champions’ within the partnership)
- Undertake Impact and Support Workshop training organised by SPP
- meet regularly to review this ongoing process
- Undergo an evaluation process with a third party (deployed by EEF to measure the outcomes of the programme)
Ongoing staff development
As part of the school’s policy to reach out and support others we continue to develop our staff's skills and experience.
Joy Painting – Masters in Outdoor Learning – September 2017
Jo Marks – studying for SLE accreditation to support schools in Maths development. Specialist leaders of education (SLEs) are outstanding middle and senior leaders with a particular area of expertise and the skills to develop the leadership capacity of colleagues in similar positions in other schools. We have five SLEs in our alliance, but are currently recruiting more.