Facilities & Resources
The school was built in 1972 and opened in February 1973, with an additional wing built on in the late 1990's. It has the following facilities and resources:
- Large, spacious playing fields
- A new outdoor classroom (built in autumn 2020)
- Ongoing development of our forest school area (2020-21)
- A wildlife area with a large pond (renovated in 2018)
- An all-weather running path (built in autumn 2018)
- 3 hard-standing playgrounds (last one built in 2017)
- A ‘Mountain climber’ Trim Trail (built in the summer 2017)
- A Trim Trail (built in summer 2016)
- A courtyard garden space
- Outdoor changing rooms
- A covered bike and scooter rack
- All classrooms have their own outside spaces with access to picnic tables
We have recently developed our outdoor nature space on a BIG scale, building a full outdoor classroom, installing a performance stage, orchard and raised planter beds which the children used to grow and sell their own crops. This whole are is accessed by all the children routinely as part of our curriculum.
The school is built around a central hall (used for lunches, assemblies, drama performances and indoor PE lessons) with three outlying ‘shared areas’ around which the classrooms are arranged. Each shared area has access to computers, as well as laptops on trolleys and iPads.
It also has:
- A dedicated well stocked library (with stock from Hampshire Library Services) which was recently updated to create an inspiring new reading area and research hub in school. Children can choose from our widest selection of fiction and non-fiction materials during their weekly visits.
- A dedicated music and drama room (used before and after school by Denmead Day Care to provide out-of-school-hours care)
- A kitchen area for children’s cooking
- Kitchens (which provide fresh snacks and cooked lunches for the school as well as the infant school close by)